Tuesday, September 27, 2011

////

Pot Roast and Honey Beer Bread

I got a slow cooker for my 21st birthday.  You heard that right, a slow cooker.  And I love it.  I broke it in with a vat of queso (it holds six quarts, so that can be considered a vat, right?), and I have expanded its experience now with a pot roast.  I made this great honey beer bread that I found on Reddit to go with it, which made the meal even better. 

For the pot roast, I used a 3 pound roast and boy was it the most meat I think I've ever purchased in one trip to Kroger - ever!  I realized I usually buy fish or sausage, but rarely beef.

After waking up at 8:00 to start, I began by chopping onions and quickly browning them with a few cloves of garlic in about 1 tbsp of olive oil.  I don't usually smell onions that early in the morning, but boy did that smell good.  The onions don't need to brown for long, just enough to get a bit crisp on the edge, maybe 2 minutes for each side of the ring on medium high heat.

I turned my slow cooker on high and added the slightly cooked onions and garlic along with a bit of butter.  Because it wasn't warm yet, I cut the butter and tried to distribute it evenly along the bottom of the slow cooker.

Next: the meat.  Using the same pan as the onions, I seared the salted and peppered roast on all sides.


I threw that on top of the onions and added 1/2 bag of baby carrots, two really big potatoes, 4 cups of beef stock and parsley and oregano.  The reason I started so early?  I had a 9:30 am class, and I wanted to get it started so it could sit for a while.

When I got home, it was cooking away.  And right before we ate?  Yum!


The meat was falling apart and it tasted (in my opinion) just like a roast should.  Here's the recipe (adapted from Pioneer Woman):

2 onions, cut into rings
3 cloves garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
3 lb roast
1 1/2 cups baby carrots
4 cups beef broth
 1 lb potatoes
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
parsley and oregano, to taste

Begin by browning the onions and garlic in a large pan in 2 tbsp olive oil.  Add onions and garlic to 2 tbsp butter in crock pot on high.  Salt and pepper roast, adding it and and addition tbsp of olive oil in pan used for onions.  After searing roast on all sides, add to crock pot along with potatoes, baby carrots, and broth.  Season to taste.  Wait at least 7 hours (8 or 9) is preferable and serve, pulling meat apart with a fork.

But what to have with this wonderful roast?  Something hearty, to be sure.  This great Honey Beer Bread, adapted from Kirbie's Kitchen, is so delicious as a side, and I'm ready to try it out as toast tomorrow!

My favorite thing about it?  No waiting for anything to rise.  It's like 5 minutes of work, 5 minutes of cleanup, 50 minutes in the oven, and done.  Perfect to go with the easy crock pot meal!

Combining dry ingredients (just flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder) is really the most complex step.  I promise.  You do want to do it in a large enough bowl, though.


Next is the best part: the beer!  I chose to use a Sam Adams Boston Lager.  You can really use anything you have around, I think it'd probably taste like light beer if you use light beer, so use those with caution.  Unless you like light beer or something... then more power to you!


You're going to add the whole bottle to your dry ingredients along with 2 tbsp of warm honey.  For the honey, if you have a plastic container, you really only need to nuke it for 5 seconds to get it runny enough.  Trust me, the first time I did it I put it in for 15 and the honey got HOT.


So after you've added your bottle of beer (minus a sip or two if you're me), then mix your ingredients until they're just combined.  Add two tbsp of melted butter to the bottom of a 9" by 5" loaf pan and another two tablespoons to the top.  Sprinkle coarse salt on top, and pop it in the oven for 50 minutes or so.


 Yeah, it's a lot of butter on top and bottom.  But it makes a difference.  I'd never made break in a loaf pan like this before and thought I could omit it, but everything I saw online said "keep the butter!" so I did!  And boy does this loaf of bread look beautiful.


Yes folks, that is what my loaf looked like (before we devoured most of it).  And this is a picture with my terrible point and shoot camera that is 5 years old with no editing.  All those other pictures had to be edited a bit.  But not this one.  Because that loaf of bread is that beautiful. 

So is your mouth watering yet?  Because here's that recipe:


3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp warm honey
1 bottle beer
4 tbsp butter, melted 
1 tsp coarse salt

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine dry ingredients and mix in a medium bowl.  Add slightly warmed honey and beer, mixing with a wooden spoon until they have just incorporated.  Grease a 9" by 5" loaf pan, and add 2 tbsp melted butter to bottom.  After adding dough, spread the reaming butter on top.  Sprinkle salt on batter before baking 50 to 60 minutes or until brown.

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment

    Post a Comment