Friday, July 1, 2011

////

Sewing a Dress for the First time!

I sewed my first ever dress last weekend.  And let me say, although I haven't sewn anything in quite a while, I really enjoyed it and thought it was a success.

I used New Look pattern 6020 and made view C.  I cut a size 16 to be conservative (it's easier to take in than it is to let out!) but it wound up being not just big, but way too big.  Like, two sizes too big.  But I was able to take it in a good bit and make it wearable.



I chose to use a cotton fabric from Joann's that turned out really well.  I think that the print is flattering and I love the belt that I paired with it, from Forever 21 for just $3.50!

I made a bunch of mistakes when making it, of course, as it was my first garment.  I sized myself very wrong, and I think that next time I cut a pattern it will be a 14 at the bust tapering to a 12 or 10 at the waist.  I don't have a zipper foot, so my zipper, although it came out pretty well, it's far from perfect.  I also didn't finish my interior seams at all, so the first time I washed it, there were threads all over the place.  I also had a "oh I can do this fast" issue around the neckline, below.



All in all, I think it was a success.  I learned a lot, and I used zippers, interfacing, and sizing for the first time.  With the Vogue Pattern sale this weekend, I picked up several.  I am really excited to start working with different fabrics (charmouse and chiffon are called for on two of the dresses).  If anyone has any tips, leave them in the comments!

7 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Anonymous said... July 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM

    I'm pretty impressed, I was thinking teaching myself how to follow patterns to make a dress would be a fun gap year project so I'll probably hit you up for advice. (This is if I can ever get the family sewing machine working again).

  2. jen said... July 16, 2011 at 3:01 AM

    pretty :)

  3. gwenstella said... September 24, 2011 at 12:35 AM

    I'm planning on sewing the same dress pattern in View D soon! I probably have to take in in the bust area. :S hahaha...

  4. Anonymous said... October 18, 2011 at 4:47 PM

    Hi

    I'm sewing for the first time and have picked this pattern. I'm a bit confused as it appears that there are 8 panels for the skirt (2 on the fold and then 2 on a doubled piece of fabric) - is that right (if that makes ANY sense!)

    Thanks!

  5. Unknown said... October 18, 2011 at 5:13 PM

    There are 6 panels actually.

    There's 2 sets of 2 cut out doubled up (the side panels) and then 2 that are cut on the fold. Each cut on the fold only makes 1 piece. Hope that helps!

  6. Jade@How to Sew said... February 2, 2012 at 1:48 AM

    Learning to sew your own clothes can save you money, as well as help you develop a sense of pride and accomplishment.

  7. Koffee Gypsy said... April 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM

    I think you did a great job! I just completed this for my stepmom and threw it up on the pattern preview site. She loved it in the View D. Tips that might help are anytime you have a rounded area like from the arm strap to the front chest area, snip straight snips back to the stitching before you turn and iron. it will help with any puckering by allowing release of the fabric to sit flatter! I did not care for the finishing of the sleeve, only because I don't like finishing things with Bias but rather a facing like what was on the inside of the chest and back area - that's a totally personal choice. It looks great on you, the style, choice of fabric and all - you did a wonderful job!

Post a Comment